The difference between a wire and a cable is that the size of the wire is generally small and the structure is relatively simple, but sometimes the cable is also classified as a broad wire. In a narrow sense, it is divided into wires and cables, and in a broad sense, they are generally collectively referred to as cables. So, what is the difference between wire and cable?
Wires and cables in a broad sense are also referred to as cables for short. Cables in a narrow sense refer to insulated cables, which can be defined as: an aggregate composed of the following parts; one or more insulated cores, and their respective coatings, the total The protective layer and the outer protective layer, the cable can also have additional uninsulated conductors. Wire products used to transmit electric (magnetic) energy, information and realize electromagnetic energy conversion. Simply put, a wire is composed of one or several soft wires, and the outer covering is covered with a light soft sheath; the cable is composed of one or several insulated covered wires, and the outside is covered with a tough outer layer made of metal or rubber. . Cables and wires are generally composed of three components: core wire, insulating sheath and protective sheath. Each conductor of the cable can be counted as a strand of wire. This is a straightforward difference between wires and cables.
1. The difference of materials
Wire is a conductive metal wire used to carry current. There are various forms such as solid, stranded or foil woven. According to the insulation status, it is divided into two categories: bare wires and insulated wires. The cable is composed of one or more insulated conductive wires placed in a sealed sheath. In addition, a protective coating can be added. The difference between wires and cables is that the size of the wires is generally small and the structure is relatively simple, but sometimes cables are also classified as wires in a broad sense.
2. The difference in structure
The main difference between power cables and ordinary wires is that the cables are larger in size and complicated in structure. The cable is mainly composed of the following 4 part groups. Conductive core: made of high-conductivity materials. Insulation layer: The insulating material used for the cable should have high insulation resistance and high breakdown electric field strength. Cables are often classified by insulating materials
3. The difference in purpose
Bare wires are not covered with any insulation or protective layer of wires. In addition to being used as a wire for transmitting electrical energy and information, it can also be used to make components and connecting wires for motors and electrical appliances. Copper, aluminum, copper alloy, and aluminum alloy are generally used. In addition, there are various insulated wires suitable for special requirements, such as low-voltage wires for automobiles, high-voltage ignition wires for automobiles, electrical and electrical lead wires, aviation wires, compensation wires, etc. Cables are used to transmit and distribute electrical energy or transmit electrical signals. Cables can be divided into power cables, communication cables and control cables according to their uses.
In addition to the above differences, cables also have obvious advantages. Compared with overhead lines, the cable has the advantages of small insulation distance between lines, small footprint, underground laying without occupying space above the ground, not affected by surrounding environmental pollution, high reliability of power transmission, and interference to personal safety and the surrounding environment small. Therefore, cables are mostly used in densely populated areas, dense grids and busy traffic areas. It plays an important role in modernization.
Anti-freezing measures for wires and cables
To avoid this situation, there are two ways:
1. When choosing a cable, you need to choose a cable that can withstand the cold, so that it will not be damaged due to frost. In addition, the ice and snow fall on the wires and cables, causing the cables to rotate due to external forces. Coupled with gravity, the cables are easily broken. Therefore, cable rotation is the main cause of icing. And if the cable is a hard conductor, when enough snow accumulates, it is not easy to twist, and the snow will automatically fall off the wire. At the same time, due to the different hardness and density of the wires and cables, when the snow gradually solidifies into the ice, it will automatically break up to a certain extent.
2. Apply freezing paint to act as a protective coating on wires and cables. The so-called freeze protection coating is actually a kind of high temperature resistant heat insulation paint or reflective heat insulation paint. Realize heat preservation to achieve the purpose of antifreeze. Generally, it also has waterproof, anti-corrosion, moisture-proof, crack-resistant, fire-proof, insulation, and other functions.